Fighting a termite infestation can be exhausting, which is why we are equipped to provide fast and effective termite control services. But there are also steps that you as a homeowner can take to minimize the chance of an infestation.
If you want to guard your property against termites, try following these five termite control and prevention tips:
- Reduce Moisture Around Home: Termites thrive in warm, moist areas, so keeping these conditions to a minimum on your property is essential. Regularly cleaning the debris from your gutters and disposing of yard waste properly will give them fewer places to hide. Additionally, repairing your gutters and downspouts when needed will help prevent leaks that can not only spur on termite growth but also damage your home.
- Inspect Weather Stripping & Mortar: The weather stripping on your doors and windows will deteriorate over time, creating an entrance for termites to sneak into your home. As such, inspecting and replacing any cracked or peeling weather stripping is a must. While doing so, check to make sure the mortar around the basement windows isn’t crumbling, as this is another easy entrance for termites.
- Keep Wood & Soil Separate: One of the easiest ways to pick up termites is by having your home’s wooden fixtures in direct contact with soil. West County Pest Control recommends keeping an 18-inch gap between the ground and the wood portions of your home.
- Look Out for Mud Tubes: Termites will burrow through the dirt to find an entrance to your house. When they do so, they leave a trail behind that looks like a small tube of mud. Inspect your home’s foundation periodically and search for signs of these tubes, and notify a pest control expert as soon as possible if you find them.
- Consult an Expert: In addition to monitoring your home, many find that scheduling an annual termite control inspection is a great way to prevent any issues. Since termite infestation isn’t usually covered by homeowners insurance, doing so could save you from spending hundreds, if not thousands, on repairs.
If you’re concerned termites have found their way inside your Missouri home, don’t despair. Contact us today at (636) 300-4449 for professional termite control.